On Thursday 13 August 2009 17:36:43 Fernan Bolando wrote:
> I recently used your guide to setup a cpu server. I have to say that
> it was a lot clearer than the wiki version. I did remember needing to
> uncomment the lines below in cpurc based on my old install.
>
> # if(! test -e /rc/bin/service.auth/il566){
> #     mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.il566 /rc/bin/service.auth/il566
> #     mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.tcp567 /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567
> #     mv /rc/bin/service/il566 /rc/bin/service/!il566
> #     mv /rc/bin/service/tcp567 /rc/bin/service/!tcp567
> # }
>
> I am not sure your guide needs to be updated to do that instead of just
>
> step 5.
> term% mv /rc/bin/service.auth/authsrv.tcp567 /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567
>
> I am not sure of the advantage of doing it either way.

There were a few considerations involved which induced me to write Step 5
the way it is:

* IL appears to be largely deprecated in lieue of TCP, and certainly is not
necessary to a functional cpu/auth server, so the howto does not configure it

* /rc/bin/service/tcp567 does not exist on a current terminal system as
installed via the latest plan 9 iso images, so the:

mv /rc/bin/service/tcp567 /rc/bin/service/!tcp567

...is unnecessary

* the test in the if statement is not needed once you have performed the
command as per Step 5 ( also, the test as it currently exists in recent
iso's is: if (! test -e /rc/bin/service.auth/tcp567) )

* finally it is the goal of the howto to be as simple as possible and no
simpler -  Step 5 is straight-forward and internally consistent with the
rest of the document

Thankyou very much for testing it out - much appreciated!

Cheers,

Corey