On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 11:54 -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > Plan 9 has a lot to offer and a lot for others to learn from. Concurrency
> > framework that could scale up to 1K [virtual]cores in an SMP
> > configuration is not one of those features though.
>
> forgive the ignorance, but is there any such thing as a
> 1k-core smp machine?

I put "virtual" there on purpose. Here's what I can publically
share: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/43776/135/ and there's
more to come.

On a public front it is still 512 not 1K, though:
   4 cpus per box * 16 physical cores per cpu * 8 virtual threads per core

>  and is apple doing such a thing?

Nobody knows what Apple is doing for sure. I know 3 things though:
   1. Apple badly wants a share of a server market
   2. Apple is still doing POWER, though not releasing it (just like
      they did x86 for 7 or so years without telling anyone)
   3. POWER is getting to 1K SMP as well.

> even commodity intel and amd mp offerings are numa.
> they're not very n, but they're still n.

True. But even for those platforms good SMP frameworks are quite
difficult to come by. And here I do mean computation, not how
to accommodate scalable IO.

Thanks,
Roman.