On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:02 AM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net>wrote:

> > The blocks aren't interesting at all by themselves, I totally agree with
> > that.  However what they do to let you write a function inline, that can
> be
> > pushed to another function, to be executed on a concurrent FIFO, is where
> > the real power comes out.
>
> this reminds me of paul and byron's shell, es which had
> anonymous blocks.  in fact, that's how the if statement
> worked.
>
> in c, i don't see why such a bolt-on would be useful in
> c, especially since your concurrent fifo would be limited
> to one shared-memory node unless you're going to add a runtime
> compiler.

Apple's using it all over the place in Snow Leopard, in all their native
apps to write cleaner, less manual-lock code.  At least, that's the claim
:-).

If by node you mean "single machine" then I suppose I agree, but this is not
a distributed computing solution in the world of multi-node programming.

Dave