On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 17:02 -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > ... In case anyone is wondering what they could be doing instead of feeding
> > this massive thread more fatty foods.
>
> there's lots of complaining on the list about the
> content of the list.
>
> it's not like there aren't good meaty issues to discuss.
> what happened with either of the recently-reported
> fossil lockup problems, for instance?
>
> i mentioned that the pool library can act as a big
> kernel lock a few weeks ago.  i don't know if anyone
> has thoughts on how to deal with this.
>
> it seems to me we deserve the list we create.

I think you're right. Perhaps different folks are approaching
9fans with different assumptions, though. I see 3 camps present:
   1. The actual *developers* of the technology related to
   Plan 9. That would include you, Russ, Inferno folks and
   perhaps Nemo & co.

   2. The actual users of Plan9.

   3. The folks who do not use Plan9 in day-to-day life, but
   are fundamentally convinced in a WWP9D (what would Plan 9 do)
   principle.

And, of course, there are also trolls.

Trolls, aside, it looks like #1 and #2 might be slightly misaligned
with #3. At least my personal experience of getting frustrated on
9fans comes mostly from the cases where I didn't positioned my
question as the WWP9D one.

It would be easy to say that list should be divided, in practice
though, I'm not sure the folks who I would like to have a privilege
of addressing would voluntarily subscribe to the #3 type of list.

Thanks,
Roman.