On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 04:15:59 +0800
W B Hacker <w...@conducive.org> wrote:

> The only 'glue' needed was level-shifters - discrete transistors on my OSI
> Challenger II, Motorola 1488 & 1489 diode-coupled-logic on everything up
> until
> the 16XXX derivative of the 8250 was sucked into a 'bridge' chipset.

I remember being quite surprised by the first UARTs which had level
shifters on the chip, and they came out around 1993 or so didn't they?
As far as I know it was hardly possible to handle RS-232's 25V signals
on the same die as logic functions back in the 80s.

> PCDOS was lousy at I/O, and Windows no better.

Linux either. Makes me sad. ;-J

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.