On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 06:50:28PM -0700, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> > The mention that "... the overhead of cache coherence restricts the ability
> > to scale up to even 80 cores" is also eye openeing. If we're at aprox 8
> > cores today, thats only 5 yrs away (if we double cores every
> > 1.5 yrs).

Sharing the memory between processes is a stupid approach to multi-processing /
multi-threading.  Modern popular computer architecture and software design is
fairly much uniformly stupid.

> A couple of years ago we had a Plan9 summit @Google campus and Ken was
> there. I still remember the question he asked me: what exactly would you make
> all those core do on your desktop?

It's easy to write good code that will take advantage of arbitrarily many
processors to run faster / smoother, if you have a proper language for the
task.  With respect to Ken, Bill Gates said something along the lines of "who
would need more than 640K?".  There is a vast range of applications that cannot
be managed in real time using existing single-core technology.

Sam