On Dec 1, 2009, at 17:28, Ethan Grammatikidis <eeke...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

On 1 Dec 2009, at 8:44 pm, Steve Simon wrote:

VNC can (has been) be a butt-saver' - but pales in comparison to remote desktop
/ remote X for relative responsiveness and seamlessness.

My experience of serving a Windows desktop to a plan9 terminal
is that TightVNC with the DFMirage "Mirror driver" works really well.

I've had responsiveness issues when the viewing machine hasn't enough CPU power to decode the screen data in real-time. A lot of power seems to be needed, my PDA, a 416MHz ARM can't cope with any compression at all, I have to limit vncviewer to copyrect and raw encodings only. Encoding doesn't seem to need half as much CPU power. I ran Xvnc on a headless server with a 400MHz AMD K6 with no issues that I recall.

Now I don't have any expertise with VNC, but decoding anything, is supposed to take less time than encoding it. I would check into that.

All that gear was using either TightVNC or the plain vnc- x.y.z.tar.gz from RealVNC. When using Vine Server on a 466MHz Apple screen updates are not really adequate, while the mouse pointer lags if I use the VNC server supplied with OS X Tiger on the same machine. x0vncserver is a known problem server which I haven't used, IIRC it basically works by taking screenshots continuously and sending those.