David Leimbach wrote:
i wonder if there's a complicated volume pricing thing going on where these companies take orders, accumulating volume so they increase their margins before they ship. I can't imagine why else they'd drag their feet on it except that they want to get a good price as a reseller, and don't want to be sitting on a lot of inventory.

Dave

It isn't just volume *pricing*. Common situation among even the most 'mainstream' and expensive of industrial SBC's for example.

All this stuff is manufactured in 'batch' mode, often not even monthly, but only once or twice a *year*. No one can afford to configure the pcb manufacturing, component tapes for the stuffing machinery, wave soldering, testing et al for just a few units, and the small surface-mount components used today are nearly impossible to hand-assemble with any acceptable combination of affordable labor cost and failure rate.

Anything else, and we'd be paying 'prototype' prices. Not a happy ground, that one.

And there is why folks jump onto Gameboys, X-boxen, Set-Top-Boxes, programmable firewall/routers and NAS storage boxen to make ARM'ish and other 'computers'. Or buy a whole box of the VIA MB INTENDED for el-cheapo Walmart Linboxen to make 1U servers that don't heat up the rack or give a Massatwoshits if a fan fails.

High volume == affordable, even if not optimal.

The SheevaPlug is just not quite into that range....

Bill