> I would like to update my installation
> as I think I may be using LaTeX before long.

This doesn't address your issue /per se/, but if you'll indulge me,
I'll ramble a bit about LaTeX and text files.

For the past three years I used LaTeX for everything, including papers
suitable for publishing.  Since I mostly needed LaTeX for special
symbols and peculiar formatting, I decided to now use the full range
of Unicode in text files instead.  I find it's much faster to write,
since I worry less about finely adjusted fonts and layout, I don't
have an edit-compile cycle, and I can grëp all my notes and output.
This way probably wouldn't get a paper accepted at an international
conference for a research operating system, but it seems alright for
my own purposes, and to present information to my colleagues at
work.[1]  The only thing I miss about LaTeX is italics and sidenotes,
but I can /forward slant/ and use footnotes after paragraphs, which is
close enough to serve the same purposes (special, literal, or
foreign-language text, and notes near referring text) without
seriously interrupting the flow of text.

[1] A short text file dumped to a line printer beats, in expository
power, a huge animated powerpoint deck any day.  I don't buy "boring"
or "too complicated" as a good reason to mutilate a technical
discussion.  The point is to /understand/, not buy into a pitch: if
you understand, you'll agree or not on the merits.  If you only think
you understand, and are actually persuaded by me, then we both may
make a bad decision, and my pitch derailed both of us.

> -Steve

Jason Catena