>The mount command is nothing like what i'm used to on linux or BSD,
>and the /mnt folder is kind of confusing. How can I mount/ummount
>things and approx. where do they end up?

bind(1) describes how bind and mount work.
could you explain why you find /mnt confusing?
it's just a directory that is the conventional mount
point for several fileservers.

the main difference with unix mount would be
that plan 9 mounts file servers, not devices.
so instead of a device argument, plan 9 takes
a (posted) file descriptor.

>2. Installing software. I have no net connection in Plan9 because it
>does not recognize my ethernet card.

what ethernet card do you have?  if you're not sure,
what's the output of pci|grep net?

serviceable ethernet cards can be had cheep.  most
all realtek and intel controllers work.

>I am really trying though fellas, please don't come at me with the
>"stick to FreeBSD" thing. It is my primary system at present, but I
>want to enjoy the experience of Plan9 too. Sincere thanks for your
>time.

relax.