>     A) Why aren't there the following (POSIX) file operations: `move`,
> `link` and `symlink` in the original 9p2000 protocol version?
>
>     Now I know that by using `wstat` I can change the name of a file,
> but I can't move it outside the current directory.

symlinks weren't wanted.  they create many problems and can be
simulated with bind(1).

link similarly was not wanted.  it assumes too much about the
structure of the filesystem.

move across directories is not supported because they may be on
different file servers.

>     B) Also why isn't there a way to do meta-operations on files? For
> example: application specific requests on file-id's?
>
>     Something like:
>         size[4] Tquery tag[2] fid[4] int[4](query-request-selector) input[s]
>         size[4] Rquery tag[2] fid[4] int[4](query-response-selector) output[s]

this is done with [TR]write.  for example, to do a dns query you
write the query into /net/dns and read the response from the same fd.