so you're completely disk bound?  if disk activity on the windows
box is also low, your venti machine must be suffering.

It took just over 8 hours to copy 2.2Gb of data from an idle system to a mostly idle system. The network is 1gbit.

So it's not maxing out the disk, not maxing out the cpu and not maxing out the lan but taking an inordinate amount of time.

Maybe it's XP's scheduler, I suspect Scheduled Tasks (their cron) run at quite low priority, though on an idle machine .....

I just looked at the Limbo and there's scope for adding multi-threading, that should stir things up a bit.