> The problem is that Linux doesn't know we got all the attribute
> information with the dirread, and then goes and individually queries
> each file in the directory with a stat -- this happens in a serial
> fashion, so the high latency to sources just makes the problem worse.

I have had similar problems in the past and opted to cache dirread
metadata for a second. This is short enough for most things to
continue to work, but long enough for ls(1) to feel responsive.

if you applications use  the old unix trick of using a directory as
an interprocess lock then your mileage may vary...

-Steve