On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM, ron minnich <rminn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM, matt <maht-9f...@maht0x0r.net> wrote:
> >

> >>  it supports 4gb of memory.
> >
> > of non-ECC memory, so nice terminal, bad server
> >

> > "the probability of having at least one bit error in 4 gigabyes of memory
> at
> > sea level on planet Earth in 72 hours is over 95%."
>

> humorous and true story. The Big Mac system at Virginia Tech could
> tell you if it was day or night. There was a dramatic increase in
> memory error rates during the day. I saw a very nice graph showing the
> effect.
>
> Seems the earth is a pretty good shield for nasty high energy
> particles from our local light source :-)
>
> So just run it as a server at night and you may be fine!
>
> ron

I had a little interaction with that setup myself.  Didn't they move to
Xserves ultimately so they could have ECC RAM?  I think it was all PowerMac
G5s to start.

I know of a larger cluster of Xserves too that was in Huntsville AL that I
physically visited and worked with that was all Xserves (2500 of them I
believe at the time).