> I have no idea if this is related but in the early days with gmail it would
> automaticially remove messages when they where downloaded so they disappeared
> as fast as you tried to read them.
>
> Perhaps your imap server is doing somthing similar?

That was with POP3, not with IMAP.

As to the original question, when I run acme Mail on
plan9port I don't bother to set up the upas mail queues,
which frankly I don't trust on top of a Unix file system.
Instead you can create a $HOME/bin/pipefrom that
sends the mail via the system mailer, maybe even
on another machine.

This is my current version, which is a bit more complex
than it needs to be, but you get the idea.  You could
drop the ssh if you trust your local mail installation
to be configured properly.

Russ

#!/usr/local/plan9/bin/rc

host=swtch.com  # where to relay via ssh

if(! ~ $#upasname 1)
        upasname=rsc+boun...@swtch.com

echo $* >>/home/rsc/pipefrom.log
. /usr/local/plan9/bin/9.rc

if(~ $1 -x){
        shift
        echo $*
        exit 0
}
        echo 'cannot deal with options' >[1=2]
        exit 1
}

ipaddr=`{/sbin/ifconfig | sed -n 's/.*inet addr:([^ ]*) .*/\1/p'}
if(~ $#ipaddr 0){
        echo not online >[1=2]
        exit offline
}