>> I don't usually like to say "why bother", but given 9vx could be
>> launched with the appropriate parameter from a 2 line shell script
>> (including the #!), why are you even debating this?
>
> wow...  I can understand people not liking checking the environmental
> variables as it does increase the complexity, but I would have thought that
> changing the default lookup from /home/rcs... would not have been a problem.
> I guess I was wrong about that.

the point is that any default is bound to be wrong.  my guess is that
'/home/rsc/...' default was introduced early in the development and
before '-r' was added.  it might be more useful to lobby for a default
location like '/usr/lib/9vx'.

secondly writing

$ NINEROOT=/usr/ebo/9vxroot 9vx

is less pleasant than:

$ 9vx -r /usr/ebo/9vxroot

it's true that NINEROOT can be set and forgotten about, but the same
argument could be made for writing a shell function that aliases 9vx
to '9vx -r ...' etc -- and probably in the same place, e.g. .profile.