On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Tue Apr 27 13:58:39 EDT 2010, slawmas...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM,  <j...@9srv.net> wrote:
>> > Nice work, but couldn't you just bind /n/sources/plan9/sys/src
>> > to the hg repo and push from there?
>> >

>> That would almost certainly be slower than grabbing the ISO via HTTP
>> and getting the file tree locally.
>
> it would be interesting to try.  if hg can push in parallel, it
> could be competitive.  fetching the iso, decompressing the iso,
> etc are not free.  and you can't push anything until after step
> 2.  talk about killer latency.
>
> - erik

My experiments have shown that copying a large file via HTTP is
significantly faster than copying the same file via 9P. I haven't
tested it, but I would wager that opening, reading, and closing
hundreds of small files via 9P would also be much slower than grabbing
the same files in a compressed archive via HTTP and uncompressing.
Also, I'm not sure of the exact mechanics of hg, but I'm guessing that
a commit + push would involve at least two traversals of the tree,
which is not fun when you're hitting sources for every file op.

John