2010/6/29 Steve Simon <st...@quintile.net>:
>> But you can do at least as good as these forms of ID. PKI requires
>> knowledge of some sort of passkey. (I just worry about identification
>> for people who are not smart enough to pick a good key. Which,
>> unfortunately, is also most people.
>
> My understanding is a passkey just needs sufficent entropy in order to be
> strong.

Sure. But you can still brute-force a 4-character passkey in a
reasonably short time.

> This can be a few characters drawn from a larger characterset - your password
> must
> be no more than 16 chars and must contain upper and lower case numbers and
> punctuation.
>
> Alternatively it could be a long string made up of a restricted character set
> - your
> pass phrase can consist of any text characters but must not contain long
> repitations
> and be of at least 200 characters long (say).

This works, but tends to be easy to get out of people or figure out
about people if you know a bit about them.

> Thus a passphrase may be a quote from your favorite movie, a lyric or the
> like. This
> can then be hashed into a higher entropy string (is this statement true?)
> used for
> authentication.
>
> I don't understand why modern security systems have an upper limit on
> passphrase length.

Because people can't remember passwords, and companies don't like
employing full-time password changers.

--dho