On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:45:02 +0000, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> Very succinct, and better than I could do 'til the coffee kicks in.
>
> You could have pointed out that the entire source tree is smaller than
> the gcc manual.

WAT!?!

Ahem.. pardon my manners please, but this caught me completely of guard.

I learned of Plan 9's existence a few years back, when I was finishing my
Linux from scratch and was out looking if there is a way to get something
even better than a Linux. I've been lurking in this group for quite a
while now, hoping to maybe find some easy way to merry the two systems.

Speaking of which, is there a way to do the opposite of "Plan 9 in
userspace"? That is, a way to use Unix-specific programs and libraries on
Plan 9?

Basically, this is what has been holding me back. I would like to switch
to Plan 9, but still have all of my Linux programs and libraries
available. I also dread using any virtualizators, QEMUs, Xens and other
stuff; not because I find them hard to use, but because I don't want to
waste CPU cycles on compatibility layers.

Is there already an implemented.. POSIX compatibility layer, library, or
something? Hopefully, something that is very, very thin??
Maybe?