> If I were running a Plan 9 server on bare hardware in the datacenter,
> I wouldn't want to have to take a hike every time I needed to do
> certain activities, even though my key to the datacenter door grants
> me physical access should I need it.  In this case, though, it's
> running under VMware ESXi, so the vSphere Client gives me remote
> access to the console, much as the HMC does for the AIX systems, but
> still...  My point is that if one wants to open themselves up to
> another avenue of attack (albeit carefully controlled) by allowing
> such things to be done via network, they should be able to.  So in
> that sense, maybe drawterm'ing to hostowner is the appropriate answer...

at coraid and at home, serial console &/| cec and consolefs(8)
has been sufficient for almost all cases, including rebooting
the auth server.  we use power switches in testing, in case
we really wedge machines.

i don't see an additional security concern, as logging in is
the first step to contacting consolefs.