On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:23 AM, dexen deVries <dexen.devr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 November 2010 18:14:35 Venkatesh Srinivas wrote:
> > (...)
> > I'd be very careful with vac -m and -a on Unix; both have been at the
> > root of considerable data-loss on a unix venti for me. I'd recommend
> > vac-ing tarballs, rather than using vac's on unix trees directly. But
> > your mileage may vary...
>

> could you please elaborate a bit about that data loss?
> traversing symlinks breaks? some files not getting read by vac at all?
>
> (I'm interested in using p9p vac+venti in similar manner, but on Linux w/
> GNU
> stuff)
>
> --
> dexen deVries

I could imagine vac/unvac not dealing with resource forks or POSIX extended
attributes and such properly, as well as potentially having difficulty with
symlinks, but having dealt with stuff like that in "xar", I don't think it's
too difficult to address.

I may need to read up on venti and see what sorts of data types it supports.
 Might be time to add some extensions?

Dave