On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM,  <smi...@zenzebra.mv.com> wrote:
> ron minnich <rminn...@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> There's a reason it does not use that stuff, and it may not be what
>> you think.
>
> OK, come on already, quit teasing me!  :) What's the secret reason?

I don't think it's a secret. There is a not very small group of people
who find all the things you mentioned
unsatisfying in both an esthetic and practical sense, especially when
implemented in the
manner of C++, particularly the STL.  Hence, I am not surprised that
nobody in this community
has rushed to add them. It's not like people here don't know about
them. Rather, it is that those who might
have brought those ideas in have likely considered and rejected them.

>> That said, why are you thinking in terms of writing in C anyway?
>
> Because Plan 9 only has a C compiler?

I think you should set your sights higher than the macro approach you
propose. At least in my opinion it's a really ugly idea.

You could make a lasting contribution by bringing a good modern
language to Plan 9.

I'll say it again, I don't think a cpp-based approach will be well
received in this community, and for good reason. A Go port? Well,
that's another story.

Or even native Limbo, that one is frequently requested.

good luck.

ron