On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:45:56 PST David Leimbach <leim...@gmail.com>  wrote:

> Well if I were funded and had an infinite amount of time I'd think LLVM for
> Plan 9 would be excellent, as well as Go on LLVM :-).

llvm port would need c++.

$ size /usr/local/bin/clang
22842862        1023204   69200 23935266        16d3922 /usr/local/bin/clang

1.2+ Million LOC in **/*.cpp **/*.h (though this includes
tests etc.) Even gcc is smaller now!

It boggles my mind they chose C++ instead of one of Scheme,
Ocaml, Haskell or CL.

Then there is libfirm (in C) which uses Cliff Click's ideas
of a low level graph based intermediate representation.
Seemed quite promising when I looked at it (a couple of years
ago).  It is much smaller than llvm (where they can be
compared).  But looks like most of funding oxygen has been
going to llvm.

http://pp.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/firm/Main_Page