On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 07:57:36AM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:

> for the record, you can set the path.  e.g.
>       path=($path /some/other/directory)
> the default path is (. /bin).

Probably because one doesn't want to bind "." to /bin for every
"." visited, not because it's a good idea.

> jaketodd and john correctly point out that this
> isn't the way it's done; bind(1) is the preferred method.
> rc (the shell) is the only program that respects $path.
> in fact that would be a sneeky way to run programs
> from the shell that can't be exec(2)'d.

I read that as allowing the shell to run programs that the kernel would
reject.  I eventually understood it to mean that you can hide programs
where only the shell will find them.  Is the current directory one of
those places, I wonder?  I'm reluctant to figure it out for myself -
long day.

++L