2011/4/4  <smi...@zenzebra.mv.com>:
> Unfortunately, echon.c doesn't solve the problem either, because it
> doesn't output a trailing newline.  The crux of the problem is how to
> output "-n" on a line by itself, followed by a newline.  I don't think
> it can be done symmetrically without adding another option to echo.

This has been discussed before: http://9fans.net/archive/2008/03/491

Rob Pike gave an excellent answer to your question:

echo -n -n'
'

Lyndon's echon.c and echo.c are another solution, as many others which
have been discussed here and in the 2008 thread.

I'm really impressed of how much we can talk about such a simple
program as echo.

--
- yiyus || JGL .