erik, I tried sending this privately but your mailer timed out:
<quans...@quanstro.net>: conversation with mail.quanstro.net[69.55.170.73]
    timed out while sending DATA command

message>>

hi erik, i tried to install nupas with contrib today and it failed.
my root is from a fairly recent labs iso and, well, you can see the
source of the problem in the file dates:

kolari% ls -lp /386/bin/upas/fs
--rwxrwxr-x M 8 glenda adm 345302 Apr  7 20:32 fs
kolari% ls -lp /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/root/386/bin/upas/fs
--rwxrwxr-x M 63 quanstro sys 400215 Jan  5 13:55 fs

most of the nupas files; source, binary and other, failed to install
with the message "locally created; will not update". i guess you need
to touch nupas files and rebuild the package.