2011/9/16 ron minnich <rminn...@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis
> <eeke...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:41:29 -0400
>> L N <leonardne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The goal should be a Plan 9 "distro" that runs natively on AMD-64, and can
>>> open a web-browser.
>>
>> That "goal" is a target moving at approximately the speed of light.
>> Specifically, the "open a web browser" part of it is.
>>
>> A virtualizer running on Plan 9 would waste far less time than implementing
>> enough Linux syscalls to run a Linux distro new enough to run any browser
>> newer than Opera 9.
>
> That's a very interesting point. Implementing lguest on Plan 9 would
> require something like 13 "system calls". Far easier than doing the
> near-400 system calls of linux correctly.
>
> ron

Just out of interest, has anyone made a cross compiler either for the
32-bit Plan9 or 64-bit Nix target?

I have been looking a bit into the possibility of packaging the old
GCC 3.0 as a cross compiler on Arch linux. At the moment my builds
fail miserably since the build assumes that you build on a Plan9 host
(hard links in the binutils build to i386-lucent-plan9-ar etc). A
newer version (>4.6) would be cooler since it also supports the plan9
dialect of C. On the other hand, the cross compiler would just be a
neat way to build legacy stuff without having to worry about having
all the GNU tools on the target machine.

Alternatively - would a newlib approach be a better bet to get
binutils/gcc going? I have been trying to read up on it and to try to
locate the syscall information I need from plan9 libc. If anyone got
any pointers on how to do this, it would be appreciated :)

I am a total nooob on this though (unfortunately with very little
time, so my efforts are sporadic)

Ps.

I have an experimental PKGBUILD for nix on my machine. The basic idea
I got with that one is:
- static root at /opt/vx32/nix/root
- changes at /opt/vx32/nix/changes
- /usr/glenda moved to /home/glenda, user "glenda" added to system
(directory /opt/vx32/nix/usr removed)
- union mount /opt/nix/vx32/nix/root and /opt/nix/vx32/nix/changes at /mnt/nix
- mount /home at /mnt/nix/usr

It is not ready for public consumption yet however.
- One thing I wonder there about 9vx is - can you add a command line
argument to start a script in the plan9 that boots?
Right now building/packaging nix requires manual intervention in the
booted plan9 environment during packaging.
Also, it would be nice to have a "firstrun" part in the startup script
for a user so that the system executes /sys/lib/newuser.

This in combination with a cross compiler would turn playing with
Plan9 far easier and more fun :)