I know that the original request was for online reading about awk, but
I can't help adding my recommendation for the offline dead tree
version of "The awk Programming Language" by aw&k. I resisted buying
it for years, on the grounds of its extraordinary price on Amazon,
succumbed eventually, and have never regretted it. The book is a
little miracle of clarity in a confused world.

And if you don't want to buy that, consider "The Unix Programming
Environment" by Kernighan & Pike - chapter 4 covers awk, and the rest
of the book covers all of the bits of Unix you needed to know until
the lunatics took over the asylum.