> After rebuilding nfactotum and
> starting it in a fresh window,
> I'm able to login to all of the previously tried remote
> hosts.

For the reference of future search engines I have a guess
on what you might have been seeing.  If in the original
window, you had attempted to run ssh with an instance of
the older factotum bound to /mnt/factotum, then the tunnel
that got started would be running with that one.  Because
the tunnel is persistent, running a new factotum wouldn't
have affected the existing tunnel.  Opening a new window
created a new name space where the tunnel wasn't bound to
/net, so ssh started a new one, and this time the new
factotum was bound to /mnt/factotum so the tunnel is using
it.

BLS