On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:16 PM, erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Mon Jun 11 17:07:15 EDT 2012, mirtchov...@gmail.com wrote:
>> looking for more pleasing fonts I came across dejavu which are
>> downloadable from http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Download
>>
> [...]
>>
>> coverage is so-so, but there are latin/greek/cyrillic ttfs available
>> too. i didn't try them out.
>
> dejavu sans is pretty good.
>
> it really is a trick finding decent coverage and a good looking font.
> good coverage seems to be more important as folks assume unicode.
>
> i've been using cyberbit, but it has some holes.  it's killer feature is
> very good hinting at smaller sizes.
>
> i keep meaning to teach ttf2subf to break off the subfont at unicode
> block boundaries to make stiching together fonts easier.
>
> - erik

Vera (I think from your contrib) works very well for me, I find that
it looks good and has good enough coverage for all my uses.

The biggest challenge with Plan 9 fonts is getting the heights right;
often converted ttfs will have the bottom of "g" and a lot of the
non-ASCII characters cut off at either top or bottom.

john