On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis
<eeke...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:15:26 +0100
> "Steve Simon" <st...@quintile.net> wrote:
>
>> Various projects have worked on 8c to make it generate code for other OSs,
>> have any of these resulted in code that could generate a very _very_ simple
>> ELF shared library sutiable for linux?
>>
>> -Steve
>>

> The 8l in Go can produce ELF binaries -- it's the linker rather than
> the compiler you want to look at for this. Last I heard, Go's 8l wasn't
> compatible with Plan 9's 8c, but there's an 8c in Go so that doesn't
> matter too much. I'm sure some Go fans want to use system C libraries
> by dynamic linking, but I'm not so sure about producing a linkable
> library.

Though I cannot find the message now, I recall Russ commenting to
someone that the Go linker is not tooled for C ELF binaries; it is
very Go specific. Having worked on the NetBSD port and had to spelunk
the linker, I believe that to be true. Russ would be the better
authority, though.

The ?c compilers included with Go are derivatives of Inferno's ?c compilers.

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary safety, deserve