On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 16:17:28 EDT erik quanstrom <quans...@labs.coraid.com>
wrote:
> >     x = open("a/b/c", mode)
> >
> > can yield a vector of file descriptors!  Leaving component
> > interpretation to the current node makes this a very dynamic
> > and powerful system (for example, one can think of a node that
> > maps to a list of network nodes -- so something like
> >
> >     echo "date" > /net/my-nodes/foo
> >     chmod +x /net/my-nodes/foo
> >     /net/my-nodes/foo
>
> one would think that a distributing file server would be
> a better abstraction as the normal tools could be brought
> to bear on the problem.

I was just exploring the APLish nature of the idea.  I used
shell syntax to get the idea across -- here my-nodes would map
to a set of fileserver nodes that interpret the remaining path
so this path actually maps to a whole bunch of files. No idea
if this is better, worse or even sensible.  There are some
graph languages that could possibly map here.

What is a "distributing" file server? If you mean something
like cxfs, luster, glusterfs, ceph, etc they wouldn't do the
same thing. The above would in fact be kind of a distributed
filesystem!