thanks all for being positive, i was wary that those on the 9fans list
might be a bit dismissive of c++.

i have been on a 3 day course and have been reading the c++ primer,
and have effective c++ also, so i seem well equipped. the environment
i am to use is Qt based as it has to be cross platform, though we hope to
try to keep the core vanilla STL based.

so far i have written a couple of hundred lines of c++, but for me the problem
i see is how to develop a sense of c++ style.  I want to write good code, but I
don't even know what good c++ code looks like!

i will press on with it, and read the pointers that have been suggested.

thanks again.

-Steve

ps i am studiously not reading anything about go in case it distracts me... :-)