Thanks for the pointers Richard.  Let me also take the opportunity to thank you
for your efforts on getting Plan 9 onto the Pi.

I had come across that linked doc, but wasn't sure that was what I was looking
for.  I'll do a more thorough reading.

One of the challenges I'm finding with my early foray into Plan 9 is that
there's quite a lot of reference material, a fair number of summaries and
overviews (especially the various papers), a number of introductory videos, but
it's difficult to navigate everything as a neophyte from an orientation and
set-up task point of view.  The approach I'm taking is to 'swim about' in the
materials, gradually learning the nomenclature and purposes of various bits and
pieces, in the hope that the overall map of things will gradually piece itself
together in my head.

Fantastic that you've already provided a 'cpu' kernel setup.  I saw this very
early on when browsing the image, but had absolutely no idea what purpose it
served.  It had looked like the basic system had everything it needed for this
compared to my early reading of online docs, but I guess it is a sufficiently
different thing.

Now that my interest is kindled, I had considered installing Plan 9 on my old
G5 Mac, but it looks like the Mac/PowerPC version was never completed... unless
somebody knows different.