On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Rob Pike <robp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Much of which is symbols. Plus, a a simple computer has gigs of memory.
>
> Yes, it's remarkable how much bigger programs are now than they were
> 20 years ago, but 20 years ago the same things were being said. I
> understand your objection - I really do - but it's time to face the
> future. The smart phone in your pocket is roughly 100 times faster
> than the machine Plan 9 was developed on and has 1000 times the RAM.

I was merely stating facts, not criticising, as I am still learning about the go
implementation, and I am sure there are good reasons why all this is true.
In any case, the argument that there is more memory now is not a very good one
unless you use it for something useful. The phone is very powerful, but
it also runs on a battery and has to do many things on a budget, so that
is not really an argument. Saying why you need/use the giant tables for
may be.

- With greater power comes greater need for restrain.

G.