On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 03:18:22PM -0400, a...@9srv.net wrote:
> 2nd Edition Plan 9 had a neat program, games/road, which
> provided a map of the US with data on roads and the like.
> Among other neat features was the ability to highlight
> just requested features. For example, you could have the
> map show just I-80 and US-22.
>
> I've got a project (not related to Plan 9) in which that
> particular function would be very useful, but I've never
> seen it in any other mapping application. Has anyone
> seen such a thing elsewhere?

This is typically what a G.I.S. delivers (kerGIS can do this; but the
public version is orphaned and will need to clean up all the curses
programs---one can do without: they are just interfaces---and add a rio
displaying device; kerGIS not public... is not public...). For other
open source GIS, I guess you will have rough times since they are
monsters probably not even very POSIXly correct...
                      http://www.kergis.com/