On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 05:02:45PM +0200, Bence Fábián wrote:
> you want to change default behaviour and make the usual usecase special?

For the moment, I don't want to change anything, I'm trying to be
convinced where the border has to be: "characters" (for me user
level) on the one side, octets strings on the other system and
library side (on a distributed system, it makes sense that filenames,
being userlevel nicknames be UTF-8---supposed to be UTF-8 without any
per filename codepage or whatever).

The usual behavior could perfectly be the same (the
leading "L" was just an exemple; it could be reversed; and octets
matching could simply be called by new functions---new names---, the
historical ones calling these new character agnostic ones). The
problem is not there. The problem is: are regexp only useful with
"text" implying "characters", or more widely useful? My feeling is
that they are more generally useful.

                      http://www.kergis.com/