> > clearly you did not run this script.  this doesn't
> > work for the same reason that here docs in functions
> > don't work.
>
> I actually did, but accidentally ran the old unix port. sorry for the noise.

ah, yes  byron did make here documents work, and i think paul
goaded him into adding here strings with three <s.  but that was years ago.

it's not clear to me that there's any current point in a here doc.
sure you can save a bit of memory, but i don't remember
the last boddle i unpacked.  and regardless, i'm sure it would have
fit easily into memory.