Quoting erik quanstrom <quans...@quanstro.net>:

> cifs is Windows, i think.
> If this is the case, then you may run into the issue of implicit
> filenames.  Search «aux tale», or browse
> <heirloom.sourceforge.net/mailx_aux_c.html>.

as entertaining as this is, is isn't true for dos.  there
are no device files on dos in *any* directory.  they
are a fiction of the executive.  now the effect may
be the same if you're using command.com, but
explorer should be able to deal with that file name.

- erik

Most certainly not the case -- in explorer (even on Windows 7), File
-> New -> Text Document, then try to name it 'con' and you get a
dialog box with "The specified device name is invalid."

There are actual real reasons we hate DOS and Windows, remember?

khm