Someone once made a little filesystem that would substitute spaces in
filenames with a different character. When placed between the normal fs and
Acme, this would make things work quite nicely.

If I remember correctly, Acme-SAC (built on top of Inferno) does that by
default.

No idea where you can find such a fs for Mac though. But this might give
you a start.

Robby