On Jan 5, 2014, at 8:03 PM, Steven Stallion <sstall...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Patryk Laurent <plaur...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> I just joined the list, and so I missed your question.  But I also opted for
>> going with the vanilla distribution.  Enjoy -- it's been pretty fun so far!
>>
>> Patryk

>>> Since no one seems to have an opinion on this, I'm going with the Bell
>>> Labs distribution. We'll see how it goes.

>>> Will do, thanks!
>
> There are a few of us that still hold out hope for the Labs
> distribution. I use a locally modified version (you can find my
> patches under contrib/stallion/patch in sources - some are applied,
> some not). I'm fairly happy with it since I tend to hack on ARM more
> than anything else these days.
>
> HTH,
>
> Steve
Not to derail the discussion that this has now turned into, but it seems that
the Ethernet card in the aforementioned server is too old, too esoteric, or
simply hasn't had anyone around to bother writing a driver for it, and so
wasn't recognized by the Bell Labs distribution or 9atom (both images
downloaded today/yesterday - 1/5/14 - depending on your timezone). Do I have
any other options, besides replacing the card with something known to work?
I've been considering going with 9front, to see if that helps, but I'd rather
stick with something as close to the Bell Labs distribution as I can get, e.g.
I'd really rather use Fossil+Venti, rather than whatever 9front has.
(I'd write a driver myself, but I am neither competent enough with C nor Plan 9
nor hardware interfaces to do so.)
Unfortunately, I'm at my dad's house, and the affected server is at my mom's
house, so I can't give more information on the specific card. But I can give
details, run commands, etc. after I get home from school tomorrow. I have a
full installation on the affected box, so I can run Plan 9 tools; I just can't
connect to the network.
Thanks.