>> Keyboards that didn't work:
>> IBM Type M with two different generic PS/2 to USB adapter (also from Fry's)
>
>I'm still using my faithful 21-year-old Model M, with a "blue cube" PS/2
>adapter.
>Works perfectly.

I admit both of my PS/2 converters were suspiciously inexpensive, and
I've had problems with one of them connected to a Windows PC. I don't
particularly like the inter-key spacing or the action of the Genius
keyboard, so I'll attempt to invest in a less dodgy PS/2 adapter.

Also going to try Erik Quanstrom's fix at
http://9fans.net/archive/2014/02/202. (I'm in the process of mounting
cheap 720p TVs with Pis and USB hubs stuck to the back above every
work surface in the house, as terminals for a couple of Supermicro
X7SPA-H based cpu servers. I expect the one in the kitchen to require
a series of replacement keyboards.)