On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 03:29:57PM -0400, erik quanstrom wrote:

> having lived and worked in a non-english-speaking country, i think this may
> vary by individual.  translating back and forth was too much work and too
> distracting for me.

I found that if the translation is done once (when the work is more or
less done), it is not a huge burden and it even helps to improve the
native tong paper (ironing out fuzzy wording or discovering a simpler
way to say).

>additionally, i found the x:y language dictionaries to be
> especially inaccurate for technical terms.

FWIW, I know refer to the Elsevier's dictionary of computer science and
mathematics that only gives the vocabulary in 4 languages : english,
german, french, russian. It happens that my native tong is one of them.
Some expressions are impossible to guess or to obtain by raw
translation.

                      http://www.kergis.com/
              http://www.renaissance-francaise.fr/