On Tue May 20 12:42:35 EDT 2014, rminn...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a different perspective. There are millions of chromebooks out
> there updating all the time, from the firmware to the kernel to the
> root file system to everything. It all works.
>
> If you are telling me that the upgrade technology of Plan 9 can not
> handle an automatic upgrade, fine; we have the proof.
>
> If you are telling me Plan 9 should not or never will be able to
> handle an automatic upgrade, and is going to require a heads up email
> for each kernel change, I have a hard time taking that seriously.
>
> This is not a human communication problem. It's a technology problem,
> trivially solved for many years now by many systems.

leaving aside the fact that plan 9 is software that installs everywhere and
users can be expected to modify any and all system components, and that
android is a hardware appliance running essentially a binary blob....

if we had a perfect update mechanism that did ota updates seamlessly,
it would not address the issue i'm trying to raise.

since people modify the system, and there's a community built around
this, it would be extremely helpful if big system changes where communicated.