On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 3:41 AM, Aram Hăvărneanu <ara...@mgk.ro> wrote:

> Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > % cat /n/hg/versions  # list versions
> > % echo version rev1 > /n/hg/ctl # pull + update -r rev1, etc.
> > % ls /n/hg/foo
> > .... # list of rev1 files
> > % echo version rev2 > /n/hg/ctl
> > % ls /n/hg/foo
> > ... # list of rev2 files, etc
>
> What would be the point of this? Once you have a version (revision)
> you can just bind the subtree where you want it. I don't see the
> point in having this special switching code inside hgfs. Plan 9
> provides the necessary functionality.

true, but now you'd have to have another layer of scripts, etc. why not
just make it look the way it should?

> > % ed /n/hg/foo/main.c <<'EOF'
> > $a
> > // a useless comment
> > .
> > EOF
> > % cat <<'EOF' >/n/hg/ctl
> > tag "rev1beta1"  # tag this version
> > note "added a silly comment to main.c and tagged this version
> > as beta1" # commit string?
>
> Somebody would have to write the code, right now hgfs is read-only.
> I don't know how hard it would be. Are you offering?

i've been thinking about this (as obviously others have been too -- see
Bakul's post on another thread), but since i don't have enough rope at the
moment to fathom the depths of hg and git, i'm offering it for comment or
dare :)

-Skip