On Nov 25, 2014, at 1:59 , Bakul Shah <ba...@bitblocks.com> wrote:

> As long as you run IP, you pay the other costs for any protocol.

But there's plenty of cases where you don't need even that. See AOE, or nonet
from very early Plan 9. I'd like that back.

> If you use TCP you benefit from its near universality, dealing
> with long fat pipes, bandwidth adjustment, selective ack etc.

Those are all valid reasons to have a tcp/ip stack. But what I (and I believe
Erik) say is that there's cases where that doesn't matter, and it would be nice
to have an alternative in those cases. I no that IL makes a noticeable (if
tiny) difference on my local network; I bet nonet would be a marginally greater
difference.