> I tried 9atom from 2014-06-27, but it doesn't (now I add 'always'; sometimes
> it does get through) boot.
>
> If I choose to install plan9, I get a result shown in the attached
> a.png (and it does not proceed any further).
>
> If I choose to just boot (not install), it gets stuck after
> init: starting /bin/rc
> and shows the same 'spurious interrupt 39'.
>
> Some more info about booting progress is in b.png
> and c.png.
>
> Even if the machine boots, I get a lot of 'spurious interrupt 39' messages.
> In spite of these messages I am trying to install the system.
>
> It is a intelD865GVHZ motherboard.
>
> Any help?

that's not a fatal error.  it's caused by a bad interaction with the
8259 interrupt controller.  if you can put up with that a bit,
an install is often possible.  (the bug is entirely my fault.)

the usb image should work for you.  it boots a 64-bit kernel or
386/pae kernel.  both will avoid the 8259 if possible, and the 64-bit
kernel doesn't even have support for one.