I think just replacing des keys with AES is not worth it. there is so little
data that des is quite secure (imho).

replacing p9sk1 with pki is much more useful. rus posted to 9fans about wanting
to do this so a terminal could cache tickets to speed auth when the auth server
is remote - I cannot remember the details, sorry.

also pki would allow the old 9grid ideas to resurface, if there are enough
plan9 machines left :-)

-Steve

ps. inferno already uses pki, it would be best to be compatible unless there is
a very good reason not to be.