if it's the term used by IIS, i think it refers to how a server
handles web requests: (a) one process handling all requests -- i.e.
in a select() loop -- or (b) a process pool, with each process
handling one request.  the latter is a "web garden" model.

plan9's httpd starts a proc for each new request.