> To that end, the Plan 9 syntax is fine for teaching assembler.  And
> so doing, a person is better able to write good C code.  The only
> disadvantage is when learning the assembler one has to translate front
> the manufacturer's documentation and the Plan 9 standard syntax.

I think too much depends on the perception of a need to use assembly.
If you start from the assumption that assembly can be relegated to
pin-point optimisation on one hand and architecture-focused
instructions on the other, that leaves a huge space in the middle
where one can use a more human notation to represent abstractions.

But when you cannot escape needing to use architecture-dependent
coding for abstract concepts, the battle is irreversibly lost.  Even,
maybe especially, Plan 9 gecomes an easily resisted force trying to
shift an immovable object.

Lucio.